Here’s a fun fact: Tiramisu is a derivation of the Italian/Latin word, ‘Tirar’ or ‘to pick up’. Venetian prostitutes back in the day are said have dipper their bread into coffee as a ‘pick-me up’.
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup espresso, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons light rum
- 2 (3 ounce) packages ladyfinger cookies
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- semi-sweet chocolate, shaved (opt)
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended. Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form. Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and rum. Split ladyfingers (if you want) and dip half into the coffe/rum mixture.
- Arrange half of soaked ladyfingers in bottom of a 7×11 inch dish. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa. and shaved chocolate
- Cover and refrigerate at LEAST 12 hours. It reaches peak flavor probably at 24 hours.
Adapted from a Christine’s recipe