- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup rice syrup
- 1/2 cup salted peanut caramel*
- 1/2 cup Nutella,
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 6 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup butterscotch-flavored chips
- fleur de sel or flaky sea salt
For the salted peanut caramel
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup roasted salted peanuts, finely chopped
- Make the salted peanut caramel by warming the cream in a saucepan or microwave, and setting it aside.
- Cook the water, 1 cup sugar, corn syrup, and salt to a caramel, gently swirling the pan only if necessary (to ensure it melt and cooks evenly) until it turns a nice golden brown. TIP: Caramel bubbles up so use a larger pot than you think you need. Also, a heavy pot allows for even cooking and less chance of burning.
- Remove from heat and immediately whisk in the hot cream in a slow, steady stream.
- Cool until warm and pourable, then add the chopped peanuts.
- Butter or spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In a large saucepan (at least 6 qts) over medium heat, bring the sugar and rice or corn syrup to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and Nutella, then mix the rice cereal in until completely coated. Press the mixture into the greased pan, making sure the top is smooth.
- Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips together in a clean, dry bowl set over a double boiler or microwave, stirring gently until smooth and well-blended.
- Spread over the rice cereal mixture, sprinkle lightly with salt (if using) and cool until set.
- Once cool, cut into small bars with a sharp knife.