Fried Beets with Spicy Aioli
Recipe: Fried Beets with Spicy Aioli
- 20 beets
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- Soybean oil, for frying
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 cups Japanese mayonnaise (I use Kewpie)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the beets in the center of a large foil sheet. Drizzle with the oil and vinegar. Place a second large foil sheet on top of the beets, crimping the edges together to form an airtight pocket. Roast in the oven for 2 hours.
- When the beets are ready, peel them using a kitchen towel. If roasted correctly, the skin should slide right off. Cut the beets into 1-inch cubes and allow them to chill.
- Heat soybean oil in a large pan or deep-fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Toss the beets in the cornstarch until covered, adding more cornstarch as needed. Fry in 2-cup batches, until the outer cornstarch layer becomes crispy.
- In a separate bowl, mix mayonnaise with sriracha to taste. Garnish with green onions if desired and serve with fried beets.
I never thought I was a fan of beets. Thank you East Side Kings in Austin, TX for putting such deliciousness in my mouth. The only drawback in making these bad boys? Your hands and kitchen *might* look like a crime scene.