French Toast Casserole
Recipe: French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cube up French bread and arrange in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping as needed.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat until smooth.
- Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine the last six ingredients in a bowl and blend well.
- Spoon this mixture evently over the bread and bake for 50 minutes until puffy and golden.