Chinese Sticky Ribs
Recipe: Chinese Sticky Ribs
- 3 tablespoons five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups Chinese cooking wine (I use Shaoxing wine)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 5 pounds beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 8 slices of ginger
- 2 thai chilies, slitted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pat ribs dry and cut into maneagable pieces (approx 3 ribs) rub with five-spice and salt .
- In a bowl, whisk together Shaoxing wine, brown sugar and oyster sauce.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil until smoking and sear until well browned on both sides. (approx 2-3 minutes/side).
- Remove ribs for pot and quicky saute smashed garlic, ginger and thai chilies for about a minute, careful to not let it burn.
- Deglaze pot with wine mixture and bring to a simmer.
- Return ribs back to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cover with a tight lid and transfer to the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Occasionally turn the meat.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees and cook for another 30 minutes until ribs are nice and sticky.
Number of servings (yield): 6